Walkers Ramblings by Canon Eddy Burton on Trent to Scunthorpe


After a night in my own bed the day dawned full of rain and I have to admit I had doubts as to whether the final stage would go ahead. However the presence of nine other people eager to walk with me meant that there was no choice in the matter and so after a post Mass cup of tea we braved the rain and set out.

The first hour or so was wet and miserable but then the rain stopped and we began to dry out. We stopped for a lunch break at Burton upon Stather and we were joined by another four walkers for the final stretch to Alkborough. We passed some wonderful views of the Trent as it reached its end at the Humber Estuary.

Just before three o’clock 14 of us reached Alkborough and two dogs too, the biggest group I had walked with on my journey. For me it was a fitting ending to the whole walk in which I believe I covered some 120 miles in 10 days of walking. As well as the pleasure and satisfaction that the walk has given me I hope it has helped to raise the profile of the Retired Priests Appeal and some much needed funds.

Thanks to all!

Good wishes, Father Eddy

final 2        final 3final                 final 4



Penultimate update:

Today’s walk from just outside Gainsborough to Scunthorpe was a solo walk giving me time to reflect on my experiences to date. The majority of the walk was along the bank of the Trent before turning away from the river to approach Scunthorpe. The weather was pleasant throughout although at some points the ground was still wet underfoot. Reflecting on my walk I thought about the many amazing people I had met on my journey, and their great desire to support this appeal.


Having enjoyed the hospitality of Fr Matthew at St Hugh’s in Lincoln the day began as usual with morning Mass. After Mass my two companions for the day, Colin and Helen, together with myself were driven to our starting point which was the village of Bransby. Although the weather forecast was poor we had an enjoyable day’s walking, mainly through fields, passing through a number of villages including Stow with its fine church. In the course of the day we passed horses, donkeys, cattle and sheep, together with many different types of crops and we also passed a number of rural polling stations on our route!. Farming seems to be alive and well in Lincolnshire. After a lunch break in Upton we made our way through the outskirts of Gainsborough until we reached our destination of St Thomas’s.

7TH JUNE NEWARK TO LINCOLN (NEWTON ON TRENT)carol 1carol 2carol 4carol 5carol 6carol 7carol 8carol 9carol)

After a hospitable stay at Holy Trinity, thanks to Father Michael, Father Peter, and Mary, I left not long after morning Mass. I was joined by Carol, a parishioner of Holy Trinity, and we began the journey from Newark towards Lincoln. We joined the Trent Valley Way at Collingham and followed it to Newton on Trent. The river accompanied us for much of the days walking. The weather was a total contrast to yesterday, bright and sunny although very windy. We passed through a number of villages and we were disappointed to find shops and pubs either closed or no longer there at all. Fortunately we had enough sustenance in our rucksacks to keep us going until Newton on Trent. At that point Carol and myself said our farewells and I was driven to St Hugh’s in Lincoln for my next overnight stay.

Carol Added – Can I just say that it’s true if you see a sheep on its back, it can’t roll over. Today I helped a sheep back on to her feet!! The 2nd best thing about today 😊 Obviously, no.1 has to be raising, so far, £185 for the S&RPF


Today was my first solo walking day and my first rainy day, I wonder if the two are connected! Fortunately it was also one of the shorter walks of my journey. I left Southwell after morning Mass and after a brief stop at the Minster I began my journey to Newark. After traipsing through one wet field I decided to change my route and to stick to roads where possible. The rain kept teasing me, looking as it was going to stop but then picking up once again. I managed to keep myself dry most of the way but the final entry into Newark involved passing through fields and farms once more. I arrived at Holy Trinity, Newark, in the early afternoon and was warmly welcomed by a number of people including the Retired Priests Appeal Office Team of Carla and Mandy. A thank you to them for all they do for the Appeal, not least posting these updates on a daily basis!


After a restful weekend I resumed the serious business of long distance walking. The day began with Mass in the parish of Sacred Heart, Carlton, which I concelebrated with the parish priest Fr Joe Wheat. This is the parish in which I spent almost all my childhood, the parish in which I served on the altar, and the parish in which I was ordained nearly 24 years ago. It is a place of many happy memories and I am pleased that I was able to include it in my route.
For today’s walk Fr Joe and myself largely followed the bank of the River Trent passing through a number of villages until we reached Fiskerton just below Southwell. Here we went our separate ways and I had another pleasant surprise when I learnt that my hosts for the night would be a family that I originally knew from those childhood days in Carlton I had mentioned earlier!


‘After celebrating morning Mass at the church in East Leake and a refreshing cup of tea nine of us set off in the direction of West Bridgford. A number of people had already indicated that they would be leaving us at various points on the route and in the end four of us made it to our destination.
We had a lunch break at Rushcliffe Country Park and then began our final steps towards West Bridgford. In my mind I had anticipated that we would be passing over Wilford Hill and by the cemetery, but even for someone who had grown up in and around Nottingham I had not anticipated the wonderful view that we saw as we Sharphill Wood. I could pick out the Cathedral in the distance and it reminded me of the moment on the Camino to Santiago di Compostella when one sees the Cathedral for the first time. However on this occasion our Cathedral is not my final destination, but a mid-way passing point as I continue on the Scunthorpe. I did however allow myself to anticipate the joy of walking to the Cathedral on Sunday morning with John and Gillian and other walkers, a walk which is described elsewhere on this page.
Meanwhile we continued onto the Church of the Holy Spirit in West Bridgford where we were met by a refreshing cup of tea. The walkers from East Leake returned home and I looked forward to a rest day before the walk to the Cathedral on Sunday’

EL to WB 1EL to WB 2EL to WB 3


Began with morning Mass at St Winifred’s in Shepshed with I concelebrated with the parish priest Father Michael Eastwood and also Father David Cain who was my walking companion for the day. We made good progress through the Leicestershire countryside eventually reaching the bank of the River Soar just opposite Normanton. Here our plans to use the chain ferry didn’t come to fruition and we had to divert to Zouch to cross the river by road. It was also at this point that John Curran joined us and we continued on our way to East Leake. We were warmly greeted on arrival and I look forward to resuming my walk from there once again tomorrow.



I began the day by celebrating Mass at Our Lady of Mercy in Melbourne and set off on my next stage accompanied by three parishioners Chris, Helen, and Nathan. Passing Melbourne Hall we soon left Derbyshire and crossed the county boundary into Leicestershire. For much of our day we followed the Cloud Trail which follows a disused railway line, but towards the end we had to go through a number of fields before we reached our destination of Shepshed, where we were welcomed by Father Michael Eastwood and a number of parishioners. It was a warm sunny day, but comfortable to walk in. A special mention to Nathan who must be a candidate for the youngest participant of the walk!


I travelled from Scunthorpe to Burton on Trent by train on Bank Holiday Monday, and I was met and welcomed by Father John Paul Leonard. After an enjoyable evening I made sure of some sleep ready to begin my walk the following day.
The next day began with Mass at St Joseph’s, Winshill, which was celebrated by Bishop Patrick and attended by many parishioners. After refreshments in the hall Bishop Patrick, Father John Paul, seven parishioners and myself began our walk to Melbourne.
We were on our feet for some six hours including breaks at Repton and Foremark Resevoir. We avoided roads as much as possible enjoying the South Derbyshire countryside. Eventually we reached Melbourne where we were warmly welcomed by Father Anthony Axe. However before we went our separate ways we took the opportunity for a well earned drink in a local hostelry.
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: